School for Ministry Fall 2021
The School for Ministry Formation program for postulants completed its first 3-year cycle with the new curriculum. Faculty and students declare it a success and will add new electives in the Fall.
The dates for the Fall semester classes for diaconal postulants, Anglican Studies students, and interested Lay learners are the following Saturdays: Sept 18, Oct 16, Nov 20, Dec 18, and Jan 15, 2022
Classes run from 8:30 am – 5 pm and include Morning Prayer.
A full description of courses and registration procedures will be provided in September.
As part of the final online meeting of the School for Ministry course Church History 2 Anglican Christianity, Canon Ted introduced The Rev Canon C. K. (Chuck) Robertson, Canon to the Presiding Bishop for Ministry Beyond the Episcopal Church. Previously recorded via Zoom in interview format, the discussion covered major themes in the development of the Anglican Communion in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries and offered a peek into the agendas of the summer 2022 meetings of the Episcopal Church’s General Convention and the Lambeth Conference. A link to this conversation is here: Dialog with Canon Robertson
Featured Video: Mercer School of Theology
Annual Capon Lecture
The Rev. Canon Bruce D. Griffith. Th.D., Honorary Canon is Residence at the Cathedral, gives a lecture on his recently published book, Grace and Incarnation: The Oxford Movement's Shaping of the Character of Modern Anglicanism for the George Mercer's Annual Capon Lecture. Click the video to enjoy the replay. Thank you Rev. Canon Bruce Griffith.
SAFE CHURCH UPDATE
AN UPDATE ON OUR UPCOMING SAFE CHURCH TRAINING
All in-person Safe Church dates are cancelled until further notice.
Summer is Here!
Memorial Day has arrived which signals the start of summer on Long Island. As we welcome the summer breezes and the academic year comes to a close, we look back on the past year’s challenges.
At their recent meeting the Trustees of the Mercer School reflected on the successes we have experienced out of the changes we made resulting from the Covid-19 restrictions. Some of them are:
· Mercer moved all learning to virtual options which have resulted in greater attendance by members of churches across the Island and beyond.
· The expanded monthly Lunch & Learn program, now offered via Zoom, provides good formation programs for lay learners during weekdays.
· The 10 – week Sacred Ground program facilitated by the Trustees, was a success with close to 100 attending from multiple states in the US. The trustees enjoyed the opportunity to teach and learn with the group.
· Staff worked a hybrid schedule from home and in Garden City which offered new options for work/life balance.
· Jane Herbst began her work as the Mercer School Librarian and has risen to the challenges of her new position. The collection is being updated and e-books are going strong. Jane was even part of panel of experts in the Diocesan Lenten Reading, Writing and Reckoning Project who explored creating and correcting parish histories.
Thanks to your support and interest, the pandemic gave Mercer an opportunity for growth and change in the areas of seminary and religious education. We look forward to more opportunities as we move forward into the Fall. We encourage you visit the Mercer website often for updates and information.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR CLASSES & EVENTS
There are four options:
1. Click on Programs & Events Tab at top of this page. Scroll through the headings to find events of interest. The online system should send a confirmation to your email address.
2. Click on the cover of the new Course Book pictured on the upper right hand corner of this page. Then find your event and click on the link Register Here.Follow instructions for online registration. The online system should send a confirmation to your email address.
3. Find your event by date on the Google calendar located on the left side of this page. Click on the event and click on the Register tab located at the end of the description. Follow the instructions to register online. The online system should send a confirmation to your email address.
4. Register by telephone or email, contact the Mercer Office at 516 248-4800 Ext 140. or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to Mercer!
Director of Operations
Canon Ted Gerbracht
Director of Academic Programs
Assistant Director of Operations